Homestays in Upper Sittong or Ghaleytar
Call for booking-+91 9830011715/ +91 7980453218, Email- email@example.com
SITTONG “The Orange Village”, place for birders, nature-lovers & honeymooners
Sittong is situated in deep valley beside Riyang River. It is just 76 km away from New Jalpaiguri (NJP) railway station / Siliguri / Bagdogra Airport (IXB).
Sittong is famous for its Orange Orchard. Sittong Khasmahal is dividing into 3 parts, Upper, Middle & Lower. From Upper Sittong you can see Mt.Kanchanjunga. Upper Sittong is also known as Ghaletar.
One of the most untouched parts of the Darjeeling Himalayan foothills, this little picturesque Lepcha village lies is a valley crisscrossed by a rivulet (Khola) and guarded by lush green hills. Every house in Sittong has a garden and every garden has orange trees. The whole village turns onto yellow during the winter. Visiting Sittong is like time travelling – there’s a bamboo bridge, a church, some winding village paths skirting through orange orchards and few meandering streams and a rivulet, which the locals love to call Riyang River.
How to reach:
From New Jalpaiguri station via Kalijhora at a distance of 54 kilometers is Ghaletar. Birikdara is about 59 kilometers. From both Kalihora and Birikdara a straight route has gone to the downward side and intersected at Mana crossing, from there to the right hand side 500 meter downhill is Ghaletar main road.
Nearby Places in –
- Namthing Pokhri- Salamander found in Namthing Pokhari belong to Tylototriton verrucosus found only in India. It is found during the month of July, august and September.
- Mongpu or Mungpu- Sittong is also popular as the destinations from which you visit Mangpu, the hill station made famous by Poet Rabindranath Tagore.
- Jogighat-Steel Bridge at Jogighat is the bridge which connect two villages Mungpoo and Sittong. It is built over river Riyang. It is one of the Tourist Point in Sittong area where many tourist visits to see the beautiful Steel Bridge and the green surrounding nearby it.
- Latpanchar & Ahaldara- Latpanchar is a relatively new tourist destination located at an altitude of 5000 ft above sea level on the hilly region of Mahananda Wild Life Sanctuary. It is in the Kurseong division of Darjeeling district.
- Maldiram or Mahal Diram– it is a famous tea garden in Kurseong region, surrounded by cloud & mist, it is located above 6000 ft from sea level,
There are so many homestay in Sittong, there are some handpicked homestays in Upper Siitong or Ghaletar.
Homsetsy Rishaan -Cost-Rs.1350 per head per day with all meals.
Homestay Orange Cottage-Cost-Rs.1550 per head per day with all meals.
Best time to Visit –
The place is a year-around destination; however, the blooming season of oranges is from 15th November to 15th January, which makes it the best time to visit the place. The harvesting season of oranges is between late December and early January.